5. Badass Bloggers.
I’d be remiss if I didn’t list a few of the celiac bloggers who are spreading awareness through the Internet. While I can’t list all of them, some rockstars that particularly stick out in my mind include:
- Gluten Dude. I’ll always be grateful for the time he shared my story when I was hospitalized from celiac complications…and I’ll squeal every time when he compliments one of my blog posts on Twitter. If you’re looking for someone who’s brutally honest about the highs and lows of celiac, Gluten Dude is your man.
- Celiac and the Beast. I’m not ashamed to say that I have a big girl crush on Erica. She’s a blogger, an author, and an editor for Gluten Free and More Magazine. She definitely represents a few of my gluten free #lifegoals.
- Gluten Away. Taylor never ceases to amaze me with how much he’s accomplished as a teenager! We college celiacs can be a rare breed, so I’m glad to have a fellow advocate like Taylor. And if you’ve always wanted to go to a Gluten Free Expo, but never had the chance, check out his online expo!
If you need even more bloggers to reach out to, check out my “Favorite Blogs” tab.
|Happy Holidays, from me to you!|
Regardless of how supportive your friends and family may be, being a celiac during the holidays isn’t always a jolly sleigh ride in the snow. Unless, of course, the sleigh ride features hot cacao you can’t drink and one or two surprise hills. Yet, just a glimpse at some of the “celebrity celiacs” shows that we aren’t alone…and that we can make a difference regardless of our individual skills and different backgrounds.
My big hope this holiday? That the words I write on this blog help make the world a better place, one educated celiac (or gluten-lover) at a time.
6. Emmy Rossum – Coeliac Disease
Emily Rossum, known for her glamorous acting, has coeliac disease. The actress even once had to forfeit the cake portion of a birthday cupcake she received on MTV News because of her disease. In an interview with TheWrap, the star admitted that she has been gluten free for 15 years and doesn’t do it because it’s cool but because she says she has “mild Coeliac disease.” Even though she hasn’t had gluten in her diet for well over a decade, the 28 year old still occasionally misses the freedom to eat whatever she wants. In fact, she recently posted a picture of herself smelling a piece of bread because she had FOMG, Fear of Missing Gluten.
7. Terance Stamp – Gluten Intolerant
It was in the late 60s that actor Terence Stamp discovered his intolerances. Raised on a diet of bread and marge, and eating wheat at least three times a day, he had begun to suffer severe stomach pains and duodenal ulcers. He has since launched a range of health foods after becoming intolerant to wheat and dairy products, and is now the author of gluten free cookbooks, “The Stamp Collection Cookbook” and “The Wheat Free and Dairy Free Cookbook”. He also adds to his list of businesses, Booja-Booja and the Stamp Collection, which were founded by the actor, and which sell dairy-free chocolates.
8. Zooey Deschanel – Coeliac Disease
Zooey Deschanel, star of the show “New Girl,” promotes gluten-free diets due to her disease to the substance after discovering she had coeliac disease as an adult. Apart from wheat, Zooey is also allergic to dairy and eggs. She has appeared on cooking shows and revealed recipes that she uses in her daily life to help her enjoy her gluten-free diet.
9. Ryan Phillippe – Gluten Intolerant
MacGruber star Ryan Phillippe has appeared on the cover of Men’s Health magazine because of his muscly physique. However, the actor does not consume gluten in his muscle building diet, and he has had to change his diet dramatically to allow him to maintain his impressive stature.
10. Victoria Beckham – Gluten Sensitive
Victoria Beckham insists that she stays fit and slim by following a gluten-free diet. The British fashion icon says that gluten causes her metabolism issues and problems maintaining her desired weight. The former Spice Girl actually found out that her body has a problem breaking down gluten, and that’s why she would gain weight so easily when eating foods that contained it.
11. Billy Bob Thornton – Gluten Intolerant
‘Fargo’ actor Billy Bob has a gluten intolerance along with a shellfish allergy. Plus, he is also lactose intolerant.
12. Geri Halliwell – Gluten Intolerant
Halliwell allegedly suffers from gluten intolerance and skips the gluten to keep discomfort at bay.
13. Novak Djokovic – Gluten Intolerant
Novak Djokovic is a world renowned tennis player, but he must avoid fuelling up on gluten-based foods. The star tennis player has even stated that going on a gluten-free diet has improved his game due to the elimination of symptoms, and his improved game even led to him defeating another tennis star, Rafael Nadal, four times in 2011. “He’s done a great job in changing my diet after we established I am allergic to some food ingredients like gluten,” Djokovic said of his nutritionist. it’s only helped me because my movement is much sharper now and I feel great physically.”